Quebec, June 21, 2021 – The Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) are proud to announce the launch of the first competition of their new NOVA program.
The main objective of this program is to support research projects in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering (NSE) fields led by early-career researchers from Quebec and conducted in collaboration with researchers from other Canadian provinces and territories. The NOVA program will contribute to strengthening the competitiveness of these researchers on the international scene, as well as to generating new knowledge or applications likely to have social, environmental, technological, or economic benefits, or an impact on public policy in Quebec and/or Canada as a whole.
“Supporting early-career researchers is a fundamental aspect to which we attach great importance at the FRQNT. We have implemented several actions to provide a solid base for the next generation of researchers, and I am happy to count NOVA among our programs developed for this group. I also hope that the links to be created across Canada’s scientific community in natural sciences, mathematics and engineering will produce novel and relevant outcomes for our communities.”
– Janice Bailey, Scientific Director of the FRQNT
“NSERC values its partnerships with provincial research organizations, including FRQNT, to support Canada’s natural sciences and engineering researchers throughout their careers. We are pleased to launch the NOVA program to support early career researchers in Quebec, and help forge collaborations with their colleagues across our great country to conduct outstanding research and deliver tangible benefits within their regions and beyond.”
– Alejandro Adem, President, NSERC
- Competition year: 2022-2023
- Annual amount and duration: $75,000 (up to $30,000 from FRQNT and up to $45,000 from NSERC) – up to 3 years;
- Collaborative research projects must fall within the research areas covered by FRQNT and NSERC;
- Collaborative research projects are led by a principal investigator in the early stages of their career at a Quebec university;
- Research teams include at least one co-investigator from a Quebec university or college and at least one co-investigator from another Canadian province or territory;
- An additional grant of up to $50,000 from the FRQNT may be added to the NOVA grant for the purchase of scientific equipment by Quebec researchers (within the budget envelope).
For more information, please visit the program web page.
Deadline (Notice of Intent: Pre-Application): August 18th, 2021
Deadline (Application): September 22nd, 2021
Announcement of results: End of April 2022
418 643-3460 ext. 3460