Effective on February 15, 2024
The Fonds de recherche du Québec (Nature et technologies, Santé and Société et culture, hereinafter “the FRQ”) are three separate state-owned enterprises established under the Act. The FRQ share administrative services and, consequently, their website.
The FRQ are subject to the Act respecting Access to Documents held by Public Bodies and the Protection of Personal Information. They are responsible for protecting the personal information they hold. The FRQ take all necessary measures to ensure the confidentiality of the personal information they or their web analysis partners and services providers collect via the website.
Please also note that the FRQ website may contain links to external websites. The policy does not apply to these external websites and the FRQ are not responsible for the personal information protection practices of such websites.
The use of certain platforms (register of research centers, groups and institutes, expense claims portal, etc.) and the FRQ portal for the submission and processing of funding applications (FRQnet) are subject to separate policies. You can consult the FRQnet protection of personal information statement here.
1. What is personal information?
Personal information is information that allows you to be identified directly or indirectly. This includes your last name, first name, email address, your computer’s IP address, the pages you visit, etc.
Category of information collected
Example of information collected
Purposes for which your information is collected
Means used for collection
Categories of persons who may have access to personal information
– Last name, first name
– Contact details (email address, phone number, etc.)
– Place of work or study
– The research agency (Fonds) you are interested in (for the newsletter)
– Types of publications you wish to receive (for the newsletter
– Answer your questions or requests
– Send you the newsletter
– Web form
– Newsletter subscription form
Identification information is not collected automatically when you use the website. It is collected only when you voluntarily submit an email or fill out a web form.
FRQ staff members
– Administrative technician or program manager
– Communications department employees
– Scientific directorate employees
– Privacy officers (persons in charge of access to information and the protection of personal information).
Certain service providers
– Newsletter manager
Information about your use of the website (website logging data and analysis tools)
– IP address
– Domain name of your internet service provider
– Information about your device (browser, operating system)
– The pages you visit, along with date and time
– The address of the referring site when you access the website from another site
– Your geographic location
– Ensure proper operation of the website
– Facilitate navigation
– Provide you with targeted advertising offers and content (Google Ads)
– Measure the performance of web advertising campaigns (Google Ads and Meta)
– Log files
– Tracking pixels (social media)
FRQ staff members
– Communications department employees
Web analysis partners
Certain service providers
– Web host
– Web development agency
3. Cookies and similar technologies
- Essential cookies (navigation and security)
- Cookies for analysis and improvement of the user experience
- Cookies for enhanced offers and services
Refusing cookies: a precise description of each of these types of cookies is available in the Consent choices tab. From this link, you can manage your consent preferences for cookies at any time. Only those cookies that are essential to the navigation and security of the website cannot be deactivated.
In addition, you can delete cookies from your computer by clearing your browser’s navigation data. You can also configure your browser to refuse all cookies. To find out how to modify your settings, please consult the technical support for the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari.
Please note that if you refuse all cookies, some features of the site may not be accessible, including certain web forms.
4. Collection of information by web analysis partners
The FRQ website uses web analysis tools such as Google Analytics and Google Ads, tools provided by Google. The site also uses a Meta tracking pixel as an analysis tool.
These partners collect information through cookies or similar technology. They use this information to produce statistics and reports on site navigation. This information helps the FRQ to understand how you use the website, better understand your interests, and offer you services that meet your needs. Where appropriate, it also helps us to personalize our promotional campaigns and better measure their performance.
The data and your IP address are stored by Google on servers located in the United States and elsewhere.
Data collected by Meta to measure ad campaign performance is stored by Meta on servers located in the United States.
You can use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on on your computer. This add-on prevents Google Analytics from recording data about your visits. Please note that even if the add-on is installed, some data may be stored on FRQ servers. To opt out of Google Analytics, go to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
For more information about the use of Google Analytics and Google Ads, please visit http://www.google.com/analytics/.
For more information on the use of the Meta Pixel, please visit www.facebook.com/privacy/policy/
5. Access to personal information collected
By FRQ staff members
Information collected by email or through a form on the website is kept by the three FRQ agencies and may be used by their employees to respond to your request or, when you subscribe to the newsletter, to provide you with information by email in connection with their mandate to communicate with the scientific community and mobilize research knowledge.
Only those staff members who require access to personal information in the course of their duties will be granted access. The following categories of persons may have access to this information:
- FRQ employees able to answer your question or respond to your request (administrative technicians or program managers)
- Communications department employees
- Scientific directorate employees
- Privacy officers (persons in charge of access to information and the protection of personal information)
By certain service providers
When necessary, some of the identification and website use information listed in the table in Section 2 may be communicated to service providers. The FRQ work with companies to develop and manage their website (web host, web development agency, newsletter managers, etc.). These service providers have access only to the information required to provide the requested services. They are prohibited from using this information for any other purpose and from communicating it to any other person.
6. Security measures
The FRQ have implemented security measures to ensure the protection of your personal information. In particular, the following measures have been put in place:
- Technological measures: data networks protected by firewalls and passwords, data encryption, two-factor authentication system, use of cloud solutions that meet Québec government-recognized privacy protection requirements, limited access to information based on employee functions, periodic audits of computer systems in use, etc.
- Administrative measures: staff members have access only to the information they need to perform their duties, they must sign a confidentiality agreement and they receive training in the protection of personal information and cybersecurity.
7. Right to access and correction
Once you have subscribed to the newsletter, you may access your subscription form at any time to correct or update the information you have previously provided to the FRQ. You can also unsubscribe from this list by clicking on “Unsubscribe” at the bottom of communication emails and then unchecking the appropriate boxes. Please note, however, that if you are not on the mailing list, you will not receive information about FRQ activities.
If you wish to consult the information that the FRQ collect about you when you visit their website or when you contact them by email, you may write to the address provided in the next section. The procedure for access to information is described in more detail in the Access to information section of the FRQ website.
8. Questions, comments, complaints?
If you feel that your personal information has been handled inappropriately or that the Act has not been respected, you can send a complaint to the following email address: Plainte.AIPRP@frq.gouv.qc.ca.
For any questions, comments or requests relating to access to information and the protection of your personal information, you can also contact the appropriate privacy officer: