Competition Objectives and Rules
The Research Professionals Excellence Awards are presented by each of the three Fonds de recherche du Québec.
- To recognize the contribution of research professionals to research, knowledge mobilization, training for new generations of researchers or supporting groups of researchers in all areas covered by the three Fonds de recherche du Québec, namely the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT), the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQS) and the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC);
- To promote research professionals’ careers in Québec;
- To develop ties between the Fonds de recherche du Québec and the province’s community of research professionals.
An amount of $5,000 is awarded by each Fonds as follows:
- 1st prize: $2,500
- 2nd prize: $1,500
- 3rd prize: $1,000
An overview of each recipient’s experience and achievements, along with a photo, will be featured on the website of the FRQNT.
One competition per year, following which the names of the recipient from each Fonds will be announced.
Only research professionals are eligible to apply for the award.
- must work as a research professional for a minimum of 21 hours per week at a Québec university or research organization affiliated with a Québec university;
- must have a minimum of 5 years of experience as a research professional in Québec (research assistantship experience during academic training cannot be taken into account);
- may not be a full-time student or postdoctoral fellow;
- must not be a faculty member (regular or “sous octroi” – with an externally-funded academic appointment) of a university;
- must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- may not simultaneously apply to more than one Fonds for the Research Professionals Excellence Awards.
A candidate may not receive the award more than once.
6. Evaluation Criteria
The candidate must demonstrate his or her contribution to one or more of the following types of activities:
- Training of new researchers (students, interns or other highly qualified staff);
- Support for groups, networks or teams of researchers;
- Mobilization, transfer or valorization of knowledge;
- Advancement of knowledge.
The quality and diversity of the contributions, as described in the applications, constitute the criteria on which the candidates are evaluated. The quality of the written language and the presentation of the application will also be taken into consideration.
7. Evaluation Process
Applications are submitted to the Fonds according to the research area identified by the candidate. They are assessed by a selection committee set up by each Fonds, based on the evaluation criteria.
8. Application Process
As indicated in the CGR (Section 3.1_, the application must be sent to the appropriate Fonds by refering to the lists of research fields of the three Fonds. Should an error occur, the Fonds will not transfer the application to another Fonds and the application wille be deemed ineligible.
The e-forms are available in FRQnet at least one month befor the competition deadline.
Candidates must submit the following documents to the FRQNT no later than 4 pm on March 16th, 2021.
Before completing an application, applicants must create a user account on the Fonds website, if this has not already been done. Individuals who already have a personal identification number (PIN) have direct access to a FRQnet account and must update their profile in the E-Portfolio .
The online application form is accessible from the FRQnet portal, in the section “concours disponibles” and under the category « Prix, aide ponctuelle et autres ». In addition to completing the various sections of the form, the following documents are required and must be transmitted from the “Autres documents” section – from the scrolling menu :
- A cover letter of no more than 2 pages bearing the candidate signature;
- A CV (maximum 5 pages) providing full details of their education, training and research career. In addition, the CV should clearly indicate whether the candidate is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident:The cover letter and CV should:
- Contain all the information required for the evaluation of the application according to the evaluation criteria listed above;
- Be in the form of a single PDF document written in 12-point Times New Roman font on 8½ x 11 inch (216 x 279 mm) paper, with margins of at least 2.5 cm.
- A letter from their employer attesting that, as of March 16th, 2021 (application deadline), the candidate holds a research professional position in a Québec university or a research organization or institute affiliated with a Québec university. This letter must clearly state that the contract is for at least 21 hours per week of remunerated work;
- One letter of recommendation submitted by the respondent (maximum 2 pages).
- Documents may be in French or English.
Incomplete applications will be deemed ineligible. No update or correction of applications is permitted after the deadline for submission.In order to be receivable, copies of documents in a PDF format must be legible and must not be read protected in any way. Once the application form has been submitted, it will not be possible to resubmit or modify the application in any way regardless of the transmission date, even if it is before the competition deadline.
Any application that is incomplete or does not contain sufficient information to establish its eligibility or to evaluate its scientific quality will be declared ineligible by the Fonds. No document that is not required will be submitted to the evaluation committee. Elements missing from the application will not be requested. No documents received after the application deadline date will be considered and applications cannot be updated.
– A recent photograph;
– A summary of their research experience and accomplishments;
– Administrative information.