The Relève étoile Paul-Gérin-Lajoie Award is presented to research students by each of the three Fonds de recherche du Québec. This program refers to the Common General Rules (CGR). Only the special terms and conditions applicable to the Relève étoile competition are indicated in this document, and these prevail over the CGR .
Applicants must create an E-portfolio on the Fonds website before applying, if this has not already been done. Individuals who already have a personal identification number (PIN) have direct access to a FRQnet account and must update their E-portfolio.
1. Objectives of the competition
The objectives of the Relève étoile Paul-Gérin-Lajoie award are as follows:
- Recognize the exceptional research contributions of university students (master’s, doctorate), postdoctoral fellows and members of professional bodies who are enrolled in advanced research training programs in the areas covered by the three Fonds de recherche du Québec;
- Promote research careers in Québec;
- Develop strong ties between the Fonds de recherche du Québec and the province’s student community.
- $1,000 awarded every month by each Fonds;
- An overview of the recipient’s work (article, book or chapter, patent creation or performance) and a photo of the recipient will be featured on the website of the awarding Fonds frq.gouv.qc.ca/en/society-and-culture/
- Two competitions per year;
- Every month, each Fonds will announce a recipient from among the winners of the competitions.
Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements by the competition deadline of September 5, 2018, 4 p.m.
To be eligible for the competition, the applicant must meet the general requirements regarding citizenship and domicile set out in Section 2 of the CGR and submit a project that has been released to the public for less than 7 months at the competition deadline. The project must be in the form of an article (in a journal with an editorial review board), a book or book chapter, a patent, a creation or a performance of which the applicant is the author.
Articles published electronically are eligible. Eligibility will be determined based on the electronic publication date; in the case of publication in paper form following publication of the electronic version, eligibility will be determined based on the online publication date.
For publication with several authors, the following rules apply:
If several students collaborated on a project in the same capacity and the published article explicitly states that the authors all equally contributed to the work, the students shall share the award;
If several students collaborated on a project in the same capacity (without being mentioned in the article) and their contributions are explicitly stated by the applicant on the application form, the students shall share the award.
Oral presentations and posters are not eligible.
Articles that are accepted or submitted for publication are not eligible.
One application per student per competition. A project may only be submitted once.
A student may receive the award only once.
5. Evaluation criteria
- Demonstrate the project’s contribution to the advancement of knowledge in a sector covered by one of the three Fonds de recherche du Québec;
- Demonstrate the project’s social relevance and /or benefits;
- Demonstrate the ability to explain the subject matter in plain language;
- The quality of the written language, the applicant’s actual contribution to the project and, in the case of an article, the quality of the journal, will be taken into consideration.
6. Evaluation process
Applications must be submitted to the Fonds that oversees the research sector identified by the applicant. Applications are assessed by a selection committee set up by the Fonds.
7. Application process
Deadlines for submitting the application form and required documents: beginning of March and September of each year.
The e-forms will be available in FRQnet at least one month before the competition deadline.
This form may be completed in French or English, but the overview presenting the submitted project must be written in French.
In order to apply for this award, students must create a user account on the Fonds website, if this has not already been done. Individuals who already have a personal identification number (PIN) have direct access to a FRQnet account and must update their profile on the E-portfolio.
Documents to be attached electronically:
The following required documents must be scanned (.PDF format) and included with the application e-form in the sections of attachments intended for that purpose in the “Activity details” section, as described below.
In addition to completing the various sections of the form, the following documents are required and must be transmitted from the “Other documents” section – from the scrolling menu :
- A copy of the project in .PDF format;
- Documents for assessing the eligibility of the submitted project, clearly1 :
o the exact publication date of the project;
o its review by a review board (in the case of a journal article).
- PROOF OF REGISTRATION
A document attesting that the applicant is enrolled as a student at a Québec educational institution or at another higher educational institution outside of the Province of Quebec, in effect on the date of submission of the application or, in the case of a postdoctoral fellow, an attestation from the applicant’s host organization.
- RAMQ CARD or OFFICIAL DOCUMENT
All applicants must provide the following documents : a copy of a valid Québec medical insurance card or a proof of eligibility for RAMQ.
If the applicant does not have a RAMQ card, or a proof of eligibility for RAMQ, the applicant must provide two documents proving that he or she has been living in the Québec province for at least 6 months of the 7 months prior to the competition closing date. See “List of accepted documents“.
In order to be receivable, copies of official documents in a .PDF format must be legible and must not be read protected in any way. Once the application form has been submitted, it will not be possible to resubmit or modify the application in any way regardless of the transmission date, even if it is before the competition deadline.
Documents to be sent by mail in a single shipment:
When the electronic attachment of the project is materially impossible in the E-portfolio, the applicant must provide to the Fonds with three copies of the project. The copies must be clearly identified with the applicant’s name. For all documents submitted by mail, the postmark or dated stamp of a messenger service will be considered proof of delivery before the deadline.
To receive the award, the successful applicants will be asked to provide the following documents
- A photograph;
- Administrative information.
1 Copy of an e-mail or letter from the publisher, screen capture of the journal’s website on which the article is presented and/or the peer review report, or any other relevant supporting document.
8. Mailing address
Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC)
Prix RELÈVE ÉTOILE PAUL-GÉRIN-LAJOIE
A/S Ms. Geneviève Godbout
140, Grande Allée Est, 4e étage
Québec (Québec) G1R 5M8
9. Result announcement
Award recipients will be contacted by the FRQ. A monthly announcement will also be made by news release.
12. Research areas
Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC)
- Writing and Fine Arts
- Cultures, Religions and Civilizations
- The Development and Functioning of Individuals, Communities and Social Living
- The Economy, Employment and Markets
- Education, Knowledge and Skills
- Fundamental Issues and Meaning of Life
- Organizational Management
- Language and Languages
- Media, Communication and Information
- Living Environments, Planning and Appropriation of Human Spaces
- The Nature, Transformation and Governance of Society and Institutions
- International Relations and Development