This knowledge synthesis examines the state of research on this subject. It is based on the analysis of a corpus of more than 1,200 documents, resulting from an extensive review of scientific publications and relevant institutional documents.
This study is meant to address the major concerns of Québec’s cultural stakeholders in the face of new audience configurations in the digital environment.
Carried out in partnership with two cultural organizations, Culture pour tous and Compétence culture, this synthesis is designed to address the major concerns of Québec’s cultural stakeholders in the face of new audience configurations in the digital environment.
The report covers the following points:
- The technical, economic and social issues associated with the main platforms used by Québec’s cultural community stakeholders;
- The composition, uses, motivations and main public figures who use participatory platforms;
- The various dimensions of the digital divide (access, literacy, uses) that affect online cultural participation;
- Trends in online audience mobilization by the cultural sector (accessibility, gamification, engagement);
- The current state of public policy on digital cultural participation.
Nathalie Casemajor, Institut national de la recherche scientifique
Deposit of the research report: January 2019