Competition year :
Deadline (application) :
At all times
$65 000 per year
2 years (renewable for 1 year under certain conditions)
The purpose of this program is to offer research opportunities in Quebec to researchers of Ukrainian or Russian nationality. Thus, researchers working in a Quebec institution could host a visiting researcher from these two countries (a person with a professor status could also be eligible if the projected teaching task does not exceed 25% of the task). In collaboration with the universities and a host researcher, the Fonds de recherche du Québec (FRQ) proposes to offer financial support for a maximum of 36 months to researchers affected by the current conflict.
- Duration: 2 years, renewable for 1 year under certain conditions;
- Amount: 65 000$* per year;
- Contest deadline: ongoing.
* This amount must serve exclusively as financial support for the grant holder and cannot, under any circumstances, be converted into research funds. This amount must be supplemented by the managing institution in the form of complementary financial aid or services (immigration assistance, access to francization courses, mentoring, psychological support, travel expenses, insurance, etc.
3. Eligibility requirements
To be eligible, the visiting scholar must: :
- Hold a valid Ukrainian or Russian passport as of the date of application;
- Hold or be in the process of obtaining (with proof) a residence permit (refugee claim, visa or Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel measures (CUAET)) to work as a visiting scholar in a university;
- Justify the request (e.g.: without this financial support, the person’s security could be compromised);
- Have a minimum of a doctorate;
- Have held a position as a professor/researcher in a Ukrainian or Russian institution in the two years preceding the beginning of the crisis, i.e. February 24, 2022;
- Be domiciled in Quebec when the financial support comes into effect;
- Be authorized by the competent authorities of a managing institution recognized by the FRQ to carry out research activities (see Common General Rules (CGR) section Definitions);
- Work on a research project in one of the research areas covered by the FRQ (FRQSC, FRQNT, FRQS);
4. Application Process for Financial Support
4.1 Agreement between host and visiting scholar researchers and the managing institution
The first step in obtaining this financial support is for the host and visiting scholar researchers to make contact and to establish an agreement stipulating (e.g.: official letter of invitation) that the host agrees to host the visiting scholar for a minimum period of two years. The FRQ will not intervene at this stage and will not require a tangible and defined collaboration project at the time of the request, considering the current emergency situation.
4.2 Submission of documents required for eligibility to the appropriate authorities of a managing institution recognized by the FRQ.
Once the agreement between the two researchers is made, the verification of the eligibility to the program must be done by the competent authorities of the host institution, which must be a managing institution recognized by the FRQ to manage funding.The visiting scholar must provide the institution with:
- a copy of the Ukrainian or Russian passport;
- a residence permit or proof that an application has been made (e-mail, acknowledgement of receipt, etc.);
- a letter of introduction/motivation (including the proof requested in the eligibility requirements)
a copy of the doctoral degree;
- a document proving that you have held an academic position (professor/researcher) within the two years preceding the beginning of the crisis.
The host researcher must provide:
- A formal agreement or letter of invitation
4.3 Submission of the application to the FRQ
Once eligibility is confirmed by the institution, the host researcher must contact Ms.Elina Boutia to obtain access to the form in his or her electronic portfolio, and then complete and submit his or her form within 30 days of the form being opened.
The host researcher must therefore provide:
- the electronic application form, duly completed (PDF version for information) including;
- Agreement between the two researchers or official letter of invitation signed by the host;
- Letter of introduction/motivation (including the justification requested in the eligibility requirements);
- Letter signed by an appropriate authority of the managing institution certifying that:
- the university is committed to supporting the collaboration between the researchers involved and agrees to make the required infrastructure available to the guest for the duration of his/her stay.
- the visiting scholar meets the eligibility requirements and has submitted all required documents.
4.4 Required post-award documents
The documents listed below must be attached to the portfolio by the host researcher:
- Proof of residence in Quebec of the visiting scholar (lease, invoice, RAMQ card, letter of attestation of accommodation on honour, etc.)
The documents listed below will need to be attached to the portfolio by the host researcher:
Once a year:
- Scientific report
To start the second year :
- Proof of residence in Quebec of the visiting scholar (lease, invoice, RAMQ card), only for those who would have transmitted a proof of residence such as Attestation d’hébergement sur l’honneur at the time of the application.
- Certificate from the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (MSSS), attesting to the completion of levels 1 and 3 of the research ethics tutorial by the visiting scholar, if applicable.
4.5 Analysis of the file by the FRQ
Once the electronic application has been sent to them, the FRQ will analyze the file and transmit the funding decision as soon as possible.
5. Responsibilities of the various stakeholders
5.1 Host and visiting scholar Researchers
They work together to establish the terms of hosting (research projects, nature of the collaboration, timetable, etc.).
5.2 Host Researcher
This person :
- is the anchor for the visiting scholar. This person will welcome the researcher to his/her institution, guide him/her through the process, and serve as a point of contact for verification by the FRQ;
- covers the direct costs of the research (lab equipment, etc.) according to the agreement previously established with the visiting researcher;
- completes and submits the electronic application form;
- agrees to abide by the provisions of the FRQ Policy on Responsible Conduct in Research, as well as those of the managing institution’s policy.
5.3 Visiting Researcher
This person :
- works with the Office of International Relations or the relevant authorities at his/her home institution to ensure that his/her application, including supporting documentation, meets the criteria specified in the selection process;
- provides the host with the information and documents required to complete the application;
- submits a scientific report once a year;
- completes the MSSS training course on research ethics if their research project or program involves humans.
A research project involves humans if it requires:
– the participation of human beings;
– the use of human biological materials (parts, products, tissues, cells, genetic material from the human body, living or deceased);
– assisted procreation activities or the use of embryos derived from them, within the meaning of the Act respecting clinical and research activities relating to assisted procreation (R.S.Q. chapter A-5.01)
– the use of administrative, scientific or descriptive data from human beings.
5.4 Managing Institution
The managing institution :
- validates the eligibility of applicants to this program and selects visiting scholars from the proposals (the host institution may terminate the stay if the visiting scholar does not comply with the institution’s standards and requirements or those set forth in these program rules);
- secures the recommendation of a departmental faculty assembly or faculty dean, according to the institution’s internal processes
- provides the visiting scholar with the necessary infrastructure for the duration of his/her stay (office space, laboratory, equipment, etc.)
- assumes the costs related to the following positions as well as their management, according to the procedures already in place within the institution:
- benefits (insurance, parental leave, etc.);
- hospitality (assistance in obtaining a visa, work permit or Canada-Ukraine authorization for Emergency Travel Measures (CUAET), francization, settlement assistance, etc.)
- Indirect research costs;
- Outreach activities;
- miscellaneous access (libraries, databases)
- Salary supplement, if applicable.
approves the application via the institutional portal.
5.5 Fonds de recherche du Québec (FRQ)
The FRQ :
- ensures, where applicable, that the visiting scholar is trained in research ethics;
- takes care of the payments made to the institution;
- Ensures that the conditions of payment listed in the letter of award are met.